Tuesday, September 6, 2011

A Lil' Update

Writing is fun! I enjoy it so much! Here is the point where I ought to apologise, because I'm sure it's difficult to read some of my posts, but I can't. Although I LOVE it when people read this blog and respond, (thank you, you know who you are) I think I'm going to keep it going for my own sake, as my literary outlet, if you will. I suppose that does not bode well for a would-be author: the readers have to enjoy your work...but I'm an amateur, so I figure I'm exempt! This blog is primarily a forum which allows me to write, and write I shall! I have no lack of books to review, having lately finished 'A Room with a View' by E.M. Forster in addition to all the other books awaiting their turn.
Currently, I am slogging my way through Terry Brooks' 'The Sword of Shannara' which I have (unsuccessfully) tried to read before; although this time, it's actually getting interesting, after a mere 350+ pages. A side note: does anyone else find it extremely annoying when the plot of a book can hold your interest but the author's style is rubbish (Brooks ol' boy, I'm talking about you)? It's so frustrating, because I want to know what happens, but I don't want Terry Brooks to be the one to tell me! I swear, the man uses the word 'hapless' at least once every time I turn the page. Find a new adjective!
*Ahem, rant over.
I have also been enjoying 'The Arabian Nights' as told by Andrew Lang, which is essentially a collection of folklore from the Middle East and Asia. The stories are told by the clever wife of a cruel Sultan who seeks to postpone her death (at his command) by telling him riveting tales, always leaving the end of her stories to the next day, thus buying her time. The tales themselves date from approximately 800AD, and have, naturally, undergone the 'Chinese whispers' treatment; the result being that there are many versions of the same overall narrative in existence today. It's hard to follow at times, and can divert into discussions of Islamic philosophy without warning, but overall it's an engaging read and I look forward to getting through the 1,001 tales.
On another note, I was thinking the other day about how we come to read the books we read. For a time, I was introduced to books by my parents, then by some friends, and then by the book lists behind this blog, and which drives me on my insane quest. How do you choose which books to read? If you're looking for one to read at the moment, start on 'Dracula' by Bram Stoker, or check out my review [see previous post]. I may not 'vant to suck your blooood' but I 'vould' like to read your comments, so feel free to type away.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lauzi,

    Even though I am not a book buff like youself I really enjoy reading your blog. It is evident that you have a natural tallent for writing and your passion for it really comes through in your reviews. I just wanted to encourage you to keep on going beacuse I look forward to reading your new posts and I think the quality of your reviews compared to other well rated book blogs I have seen are very good.

    BJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean about being interested in a story, but being frustrated with the author's writing. I just finished reading the Millennium series (The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, etc) and was soooo frustrated through most of it. Every couple of pages the characters just HAD to have a cup of coffee and a sandwich, and each time the author (Larsson) for some reason found it paramount that he must describe exactly what KIND of sandwich they were eating. Soooo annoying. Ugh... Seriously, it happened about a hundred times per book. Pfft...

    Anywho, thus ends my rant for this particular blog entry of yours. :D

    ReplyDelete