Saturday, August 14, 2010

Eh heh heh...Ooops?

It's been two weeks since I last wrote anything, and although I can legitimately plead a hectic schedule the truth is...I have nothing much to say. I'm supposed to be reading 'The Life of Pi', and I do (sometimes), but I seem to inexplicably be consumed by George R.R. Martin's 'A Clash of Kings'. I can't put it down. I keep thinking about it. I've dreamt about it (well, more truthfully, I've dreamt that I was a dragon in it). What is wrong with this picture? It's a brilliant book, but it's not pleasant reading. 
In fact, I am at an impasse with all of the books I have in my bedside table
('got enough books there, hon?' hubby commented the other night). Each story is about to plunge into some darkness or horror, that despite being integral to the tale itself, is absolutely unpalatable to me at the moment. How do I know that continued perusal will lead to something terrible? Because I read ahead. There. I said it. Why can't I keep reading? Because I'm a mother, and any horror that befalls a child in these books...ugh. Nope, can't read it.
To the parents out there: how do you overcome this dilemma? Is there a special parent trick to reading this stuff that I don't know about? My stomach ties up in knots, and I feel physically ill at the thought of my daughter going through...ugh, nope, can't think about it. 
At the rate I'm reading 'Clash of Kings', I expect to have it reviewed soon along with a few others. Would love to hear back from you guys on this one. Honestly, I've stonewalled myself here. Ciao for now!

1 comment:

  1. Well I can't say that I have a child, so perhaps my opinion is not as informed... But I shall give it anyway! Lol. Some options: You could take the easy way out and just erase it from your list, and therefore from your memory and give the book to someone who might enjoy it more... Or you could procrastinate and stick it at the very bottom of your list to read only in case of emergency... Or you could read it but skip through the icky bits... Or you could just read it and remind yourself that it's a fictional story (I'm guessing?) and let your mind live in La La Land where stuff like that doesn't happen in the real world... Or you could face the fact that crap does happen in the real world and do like every other parent and just hope crap doesn't happen to your family, but know that if it does you always have the Big Fella Upstairs to help you out... Actually I think 'the Big Fella Upstairs' kinda sounds creepy... But you know what I mean...

    Anywho, just a few ideas... Hope one of them helps. :)

    ReplyDelete