Thursday, September 9, 2010

Boo ya! (Got your attention)

There have been very few times in my life where I have been able to say this with any sincerity: I have nothing to say. No new news! 


I finished book two of George R.R. Martin's 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series - an epic fantasy series, compelling reading - but I can't bring myself to read book three. I literally feel sick at the graphic descriptions of wounded/maimed characters, and the inclusion of a character who is known for his penchant for 'flaying' his victims (ie: skinning them alive) makes me feel woozy. 
I'm reading 'The Once and Future King' by T.H. White, which is immensely enjoyable! But I can only read it

in fits and starts, it's not the kind of book you could pick up and not put down.
As for 'The Life of Pi' (Martell) and 'Royal Assassin' (Hobb), well, they're gathering dust in my bedside table. I still cannot overcome my aversion to any child-related misfortune, despite some good recommendations from Bethany (thanks hon). 


Ooh, and a new review of Dickens' 'A Christmas Carol' is up, tricky one to write considering it's so well known anyway. 


Ooooh, and the best website in the world is running a competition for the best book review (on any book) and the prize is a bundle of proof copies of forthcoming titles from several major publishers, so check out http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/blog/post/tag/competition-time-again if you're interested in entering. My husband is trying to coerce me into entering, but none of my reviews are up to par, and I don't think I have the time to  write another before September 10th (when the comp closes)! Please, let me know if you've entered, we'll root for you!


And. Er. That's all. Feel free to comment about the books you're reading and loving (except Mike: you recommended 'A Song of Ice and Fire' and now you must pay), I'm in need of inspiration from fellow bookaholics (I know 'bookworm' is the conventional term, but I don't like being associated with creepy crawlies). So, for now, CIAO! ;>

7 comments:

  1. Song of Ice and Fire is brilliant! Keep going! Yes it's graphic, yes it's too much some times, but that's part of the experience! And my memory fails me, have you read Stephen King's Dark Tower series yet? Because that is a must.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've read Wheel of Time! Now read Dark Tower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can say is: "...not up to par" PFFT!

    That is all. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Garry here. Can't seem to log myself in. PAssword issues. Anyway, may I reccomend something a little light hearted after trolling through all that gore and rubbish? "The Eye Affair" by Jasper Fforde, if you have not read it, is a silly/funny book written with bookworms in mind. It's loosly a detective story, but mainly the plot is something to hang book humour on. Clever and fun at the same time. Well, that's my two bob's woth fot ya.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eyre Affair! I meant "Eyre Affair" Nothing to do with eyes at all. My bad! :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, I have heard great things about that book, isn't it something to do with time travel and Jane Eyre or something? Sounds great anyway, thanks Gary, am buying it as we speak! :D

    ReplyDelete