Saturday, June 11, 2011

Back In The Blogosphere

Somehow, in the midst of all the chaos surrounding the recent birth of our second beautiful daughter A. (hooray!) I have managed to read six books. Six books in the past eight weeks! Granted, none have been difficult reads
(like 'Robinson Crusoe', or 'The Aenid') nor have they been wordy, but still SIX books! Furthermore, I am currently juggling another four; 'Dracula' by Bram Stoker (duh), 'A Room With a View' by E.M. Forster, 'Peter Pan' by J.M. Barrie - the original, not a re-done kiddie version and therefore it's legitimate reading thank you very much, and 'The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood' by Howard Pyle.
Admittedly, I owe much of my current voracious book consumption to my iphone, which allows me to read in bed without disturbing my sleeping husband, change books with the flick of a fingertip, and is a heck of a lot easier to hold than your typical tome. Also, it hurts less when you fall asleep whilst reading and it hits you on the forehead. Or so I've heard. Now, I know that I have previously taken an anti-electronic reader stance, but I finally see its charm: practicality! If they could only fins a way to simulate new-book smell, or even that musty old book smell (mmm, smells like knowledge!) then I'd be 100% sold on the concept. 'Til then, I think I'll keep gathering the volumes for my shelves, and the 'apps' for actual reading.
On to the important stuff - what have I read? WELL! I have read:
  •  'Ethan Frome' by Edith Wharton ~ follows the tragic life story of the book's namesake and is easily one of the strongest character-driven books I've ever read; full of pathos and is assuredly one of Wharton's best (but most underrated) works.
  • 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime' by Mark Haddon ~ was written from the perspective of an autistic teen who endeavours to uncover the killer of his neighbour's dog, and is quirky but compelling reading.
  • 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button' by F. Scott Fitzgerald ~ read this to sate my own curiosity after the success of the film, but found the book a bit 'meh'. Glad it was short. Not recommended.
  • 'New Spring' by Robert Jordan ~ I happen to enjoy Jordan's Wheel of Time series - although no-one else seems to - and this prequel is no exception. Enjoyable for fans of the series, boring for anyone else.
  • 'Metamorphoses' by Franz Kafka ~ a salesman awakes one day to find that he has been transformed into a giant insect. Sounds bizarre, but is actually a powerful, provocative illustration of the way in which society views the diseased or the disabled. Brilliant.
  • 'Deception Point' by Dan Brown ~ in the Dan Brown tradition this fast-paced mystery includes high-tech gadgets, murder and mayhem, political manoeuvrings, and factual information woven with fiction. An enjoyable mass-market, weekend read.
It is my intention to write reviews on the Wharton, Kafka and Haddon books in the near future, and to blog with more regularity. I certainly have something to write about now!


Before I sign off, special congratulations to some of the blog's followers:
to Mike and his family on the birth of their second child,
to AJWAL08 on her graduation from university,
to Bethany on her graduation from university,
and to Bethany and Steve on their engagement!


I'll be back soon, happy reading!
L.

1 comment:

  1. It's awesome to see you're blogging again! Still waiting for your book draft to edit. Ahem! Meanwhile I loved Curious Incident as well and actually taught it to my Year 11 English class. I thought the way Christopher's brain works was fascinating. And ifi had known you were going to read Benjamin Button I would have told you not to bother. I actually thought it was the most boring movie I had ever seen in my life and couldn't even bring myself to finish watching it. Now THAT says something! Lol.

    Anyway thanks for the congrats! And congrats right back at ya for your beautiful munchkin. :) xo

    ReplyDelete