Sunday, July 18, 2010

Get Your Heart Pumping...with a book?

I LOVE 'JANE EYRE'! With both my sick hubby and our littlie in bed early tonight, I thought I'd have a minute to myself for a cuppa and a quick skim through an old lit fave, 'Jane Eyre' (by Charlotte Brontë, for those not yet in the know). It never disappoints. Every time I open the cover, I swear my heart starts beating a little bit faster, my little hands tremble and my veins glow with the anticipation! It's not just the quality of the writing that has me all aflutter, but the story is so damn good! And I mean, Mr. Rochester? The chemistry between him and Jane? Wow. Electric!

Now, there is a fantastic romance (Stephenie Meyer, sit up and take notice of how a real love story plays out). I LOVE the character development, I LOVE the atypical heroes of the story, I LOVE the thrill of burgeoning love, I LOVE the cadence of the plot, the rhythms of the prose and the poetic turns of phrase. I don't think I'll ever write a review on it, 'coz I'm pretty sure it'd be unreadable and gushy (much like this, methinks?). 
Novels like this one are what real literature should be about; characters that you carry in your heart to inspire you, stories that lift and encourage, themes of hope and redemption after sacrifice and suffering. Making a mental list of the books that fit these (non-exhaustive) criterion myself, prompted me to ask: which stories do you love? Which ones get your pulse racing, and why? Which ones do you read and re-read and never loan out in case you want to re-read it (am I giving too much personal info away here? *ahem*).
I'd love to hear which books you are passionate about (if anyone is reading this...hello? Anyone?), and feedback on the reviews is always appreciated. Especially since I don't actually know what I'm doing, and it had been a good eight years since I had to do book reviews for academic purposes. Do I give away too much? Are they too long? Am I completely wrong? Etc, etc. 
And now I must away for the silvery columns of moonlight....ah....I think I'll leave the poetry/prose to Ms. Brontë, speaking of which, Jane is calling and I will answer. Goodnight!

3 comments:

  1. I'm reading your posts Lauz!! But I must say, I don't remember a book quite moving me in the same way... I shall have a think about it though... And yes, Jane Eyre is a lovely classic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, maybe I'm a freak - I'm totally willing to entertain that possibility! But, to offer some options, Pride and Prejudice, The Notebook, Little Women, Anne of Green Gables...?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, those are all good books which I have loved reading, and yeah I guess upon reflection my heart did flutter when Mr. Darcy was in the room. *Ahem* And I do totally understand what you mean by it making your pulse race. However I would say that music does that more for me than books do, despite my love for the latter as well... :)

    ReplyDelete