Saturday, July 24, 2010

Questions, questions and congratulations

On my bedside table at the moment is 'The Life of Pi' (chosen via the last poll, by my husband who voted twice), the second book in George R. Martin's 'Song of Ice and Fire' series 'A Clash of Kings', and the sequel to 'Assassin's Apprentice' (by Robin Hobbs) 'Royal Assassin'. All of these books are engaging and interesting in their own right, and yet which fourth tome trumps them all in the bid for my attention? Yup, 'Jane Eyre'. Still! I've put it back on the bookshelf several times, and somehow, miraculously, it appears by my bed each night, my own personal loaves and fishes miracle! That, or I keep retrieving it. One or the other. 



Perceptive man that he is, my hubby - observing my fervent devotion to such books - has suggested that I should write a review on 'Jane Eyre' and on my other classic faves (contrary to my own thoughts - that I should stay away 'coz I'd probably end up raving), precisely because of my love for these novels. So, a question: should I write reviews on the classics, or leave it alone? Please let me know your thoughts via the poll (you can vote as many times as you like, and I don't know who's voted for what).
Lastly, the Literature booklist is fast becoming my Golden Fleece (like Jason? Greek mythology, folks) and so I have elected to post the list in bits as I finish it. The first part (already posted) is Authors A-B, and whilst it may sound unimpressive it boasts 190 books. Lemme know your thoughts and how many you've read, if anyone besides Bethany is reading!
Finally, a special CONGRATULATIONS to three 'members' of this blog on the arrival of their littlies: to Andrea on the birth of Matthew, and to Michael and Nicole on the birth of Rubie. Love to you all! 

3 comments:

  1. George R R Martin. That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... Well I think you should write a review on the classics if YOU want to, as is the true point of this blog, yes? I will be happy to read them! But at the same time, I've probably already read at least a few of your classic faves... BUT I haven't read your review of them... So again, up to you me thinks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike, does that mean I should read George R. R. Martin, or that I should review it, or is it a correction 'coz I missed the second R.?

    ReplyDelete